Jenny from the Blog

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

And now for the "Design Challenge"...

I think a pulley system would be best for my building, considering the space limitations and size of the stairwell. A pulley system could be set up along the sides of the stairwell so that the person could use their strength and help of a roommate to pull the chair up along the stairs. The pulley could align with the wheels of the chair so that it could glide along the pulley ropes. It would simulate something like a flat, inclined escalator and be quite effective and efficient if set up properly.

RUNNER UP #1.... The Stair Climber!

I think a stair-climbing wheelchair would be a great option for someone who would not be able to use the stairs of my five-story walk-up apartment. I do not know if it would work on carpeted stairs, but it'd certainly be worth a try. The user in this picture clearly looks happy with the utlity of the climber, but who is to say that he actually uses it. Maybe he's just a model.

RUNNER UP #2.... ChairLift

A chairlift would also be helpful in a bigger building, but because of the space limitations in my apartment building I feel that this is not a viable option. A chair lift would be best where the stairwell is wider and stright up, not so wrap-around.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home